1997 Johnson 40 been sitting two years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Johnson 40 been sitting two years

Just bought a 1997 pontoon boat with a Johnson 40 hp outboard. I already verified from the engine numbers that it is also a 97' model. It was impounded by local police and sold at auction, so really don't know anything about the boat other than they had it for about two years. The gas tank has a couple of inches of gas left in it, plan on draining that and putting fresh gas in. Oil tank appears to pretty well be empty other than a few ounces in the bottom. Motor turns freely and I already put in new battery and spun it over (without gas line connected of course). This is the first outboard I have owned in several years, and the first oil injected one. Have a few questions:

1. Guys that helped me move it don't know anything about oil injected models. Both of them think I should mix oil with the new gas and not even use the oil injection tank. I told them I didn't think you could do that without modifying it because of the wiring, etc. Is that correct?

2. When I turn the key on there is a buzzer that comes on for a few seconds, then goes off. Is that the alarm for the oil injection and it is going off because it is working correctly?

3. How do I know if the oil injection is working properly? I don't want to burn the engine up because it isn't getting enough (or any) oil?

Any other ideas before I try starting it for the first time would be greatly appreciated!

Got it running

After talking to some "outboard" guys here I decided I did not want to take the cahnce that the oil injection was working properly on a 97' model motor that had been sitting for a couple of years. I unplugged the brown/beige wires from the pump, plugged the oil hose off, and mixed the gas 50:1.

I drained the small amount of gas left in the tank and put the frech gas/oil in. After checking the spark plugs I squirted a little fuel directly into the spark plug holes and put them back. To my total amazement, the motor fired right up and is purring liek a kitten. Only think I can think of is that who ever ran it last must ahve disconnected the fuel line and let the motor run out of fuel, something I always did on old outboards.

After letting it run for a bit I sprayed about half a can of carburator cleaner through the intake to celan the carb out a bit. To tell the truth, it was rally running ok before I did that.

Going to take it out this evening, hopefully everything will be ok.

Comment

Working...
    X