1979 75hp Johnson Intermittent water flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 75hp Johnson Intermittent water flow

I have been playing with this project boat. When I first cranked it I got good flow from the tell tale. I noticed that the hose looked old and cracked so I replaced it. The guy didn't have the exact right hose but it had the right inside diameter so I used it. After that I had no flow from the tell tale. I broke the plastic piece trying to get it out so I replaced it and found the right hose. It has run a lot now and had good flow every time.
    This afternoon I replaced the fuel pump and when I started it back up I had no water from the tell tale again. I checked the placement of my ears and they seemed okay. I had plenty of water going in. When it was working I had a strong stream. I must be missing something here. I know not to run it until I figure out what is going on. I was hoping to run the boat one time on the water before I changed the pump. I can't imagine what would make a waer pump intermittent.
    Any ideas, or experiences? Thanks, in advance. I have no experience with Johnson engines.

I a$$ume that your flushette is the earmuff type. Perhaps it is spread apart a little too much and slides around. If so, put it in a vice and squeeze it together for a tighter fit. Also make sure that it is properly seated over the water intake screens.

It is mandatory to have the water turned on full blast on high hp engines which yours is considered to be.

The water flow problem is most likely due to a small bit of debris being jammed in the plastic water telltale outlet, bouncing back and forth. Remove the hose from it temporarily... blow air through the outlet both ways. Also let the engine force water just through the hose for a minute or two.

Very unlikely the pump is intermittent, if so, it'll be a first in my book.

Comment

STOP - INSTALL A NEW WATER PUMP KIT FIRST - CHEAP INSURANCE !!!!!

WHY take a chance on frying a $3500 power head for less then $100.00?????

Comment

Working...
      X