1983 175 HP johnson lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 175 HP johnson lower unit

I am taking about my lower unit and have the lower unit off the engine. I have taken the prop off and took the four bolts out that should hold the housing in the lower unit. I am curious if there is anything else holding it together or if I just need a good puller. There is no threaded holes for a puller, can I pull on the housing itself with out breaking it?

There's nothing else holding that "Carrier A$$embly" except sealer, possibly some corrosion.

Use a slide hammer tool, using a rod with a hook shape on it that will grab onto one of the sections of the carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by deckboat1983 View Post
      I am taking about my lower unit and have the lower unit off the engine. I have taken the prop off and took the four bolts out that should hold the housing in the lower unit. I am curious if there is anything else holding it together or if I just need a good puller. There is no threaded holes for a puller, can I pull on the housing itself with out breaking it?
      1. - PURCHASE a Clymer/Seloc/factory service manual. IT WILL pay for itself during this repair.
      2. Why are you removing the carrier? What happened? - please post this!

I believe there might also be a screw in the gear case holding the carrier in place..(not the oil drain and vent screw-my 225 had one) ..if you look closely the bolt threads are in the carrier.. using a two way or four way puller the carrier can be easily removed.. spray some WD-40 liberally around the edge of the carrier. Now, figure out what size bolt threads the fours bolts are..(my 225 used 5/16th bolts) I went to Lowes and purchased some one foot long pieces of all-thread and some nuts and fender washers to prevent the nuts from working through the puller. The center puller shaft will rest in the prop shaft and the all-thread will screw into the carrier.. take out the slack and slowly AND EVENLY work the carrier out... after an inch or two you should be able to remove it by hand.

Comment

Working...
      X