Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruminator View Post
    Oh OK, thank-you Joe.

I'll report back after I get this test done.
    You said you could hear the solenoid click. If so, then you don't need to do any electrical testing. If it clicks the solenoid is opening as it should. No point in beating a dead horse.

If no fuel comes out of the lines between the solenoid and manifold (when primer/manifold line is disconnected and primer is activated), it means either the fuel from the solenoid is not getting into the intake manifold due to clogged manifold fuel line, an internally clogged primer solenoid, or a leak, or fuel is not getting INTO the solenoid to begin with.

If the non starting problem is not due to the primer system, then the fault lies elsewhere.

It IS possible to flood these motors by over priming. To clear the flooding, block the carburetor butterflies in the open position at the butterfly linkage, using anything at hand, even a glob of tape. Crank the motor for 10 seconds or so in that configuration to clear the flooding. It might take a few tries to clear it. Be sure to allow the starter motor to cool for a minute or so between attempts.

Comment

Joe I am having the same type of issue as the OP but mine is an evinrude 1995 70 HP after reading your post my question is about the red lever, does it only rotate 1/4 turn mine is horizontal pointing to the rear of the motor. reading your thread it sounds like it can rotate vertical pointing up, my understanding was the throttle lever acted like a gas pedal on a car but you cleared that up, I guess my question is should my throttle lever position be slightly forward when cranking or just leave it in a normal "neutral" position, while trying to start for the first time this year fired twice "flooded" then battery went low

Comment

Originally posted by mrelmo View Post
        Joe I am having the same type of issue as the OP but mine is an evinrude 1995 70 HP after reading your post my question is about the red lever, does it only rotate 1/4 turn mine is horizontal pointing to the rear of the motor. reading your thread it sounds like it can rotate vertical pointing up, my understanding was the throttle lever acted like a gas pedal on a car but you cleared that up, I guess my question is should my throttle lever position be slightly forward when cranking or just leave it in a normal "neutral" position, while trying to start for the first time this year fired twice "flooded" then battery went low
        The RED lever of the Primer Solenoid rotates 180 degrees (1/2 turn)...

Pointing over top and directly at the rear of the solenoid = Normal running position.

Pointing directly away from the solenoid = Manual position to have fuel flowing thru the solenoid into the intake manifold with every pump of the primer bulb or revolution of the engine.

Comment

Thanks for that explanation, what about the position of the throttle lever slightly forward in neutral or just leave it in an idle position, after rereading this thread again how can I tell if my motor has the fast start feature
          Last edited by mrelmo; 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrelmo View Post
            Thanks for that explanation, what about the position of the throttle lever slightly forward in neutral or just leave it in an idle position, after rereading this thread again how can I tell if my motor has the fast start feature
            If the engine has the "Fast Start" feature (The 1995 model should), the heat sensor lead(s) protruding from the cylinder head would have two (2) wires... one to engage/disengage the Fast Start feature, the other to enable the warning horn should the engine start to overheat.

If the Fast Start feature is present....leave the throttle at a dead idle position when starting. A scenario similar to a fuel injected auto engine (Keep your foot off the gas pedal when starting).

NOTE: Best not to hijack a thread. To continue, copy your post(s) to a new one under your own title.

Comment

Got it thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
              X