Need Help with Electric Start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Electric Start problem

I have a 2003 Johnson 25hp electric start that has been acting up lately...

It started last year and only happened for a trip or two out and then everything went back to normal... the motor started and ran fine all summer and fall long UNTIL this morning... it happened again.

Here's how it goes, just out of the blue I'll go to hit the electric start button to start the engine and i get NOTHING... just like it's getting no battery, etc.

What happened today was this... I played with the gear shift a bit, working it back and forth over and over and every now and then the motor would hit, but it wouldn't be consistent.. Eventually the button started working again but every now and then it wouldn't, i'd have to work the gear shift in and out of reverse and forward back to neutral and then it would all of a sudden fire right up............... it's like sometimes the switch works and at other times it doesn't. Someone told me it could be a solenoid problem or something but idk...

I've check all the wiring with a tester, the battery is properly wired and good... don't have a clue what's going on... feel completely helpless and frustrated..

Might check the neutral safety switch, may be out of adjustment or may be bad. Check all wiring, check battery cable connections are clean and tight.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Follow up to problem....

Okay... the picture below, is the white 'chip looking' thing here in the center of picture my safety neutral switch?? I figured out this morning that when i hold my finger on top of this, right on top of the metal band on top of it, that the motor will fire everytime... when i don't, the motor doesn't fire... Do i need to replace this part or what? What's going on here?

Comment

i think you can adjust it

Comment

Okay... Does anybody know how? I sure don't want to mess something up in not knowing what i'm doing, etc.

Comment

time for you to buy a factory shop manual before you break anything

looks like the 2 screws

Comment

Working...
            X