120 hp V4 start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 hp V4 start problem

Hi Guys i have a 1987 v4 120 hp Johnson with start problems. When cold she fires up ok, one or two misses then leaps into action. I power out to the fishing grounds about 10 miles away, turn off ignition and when I' m ready for a move she wont start. She turns over ok, plenty of spark. Initially I thought it was fuel related so I took out the tank, flushed it, added a new filter, and replaced the fuel pump. I have since checked all ground connections to make sure that I have good ground. I also replaced the starter battery. ( I have a twin battery system set up) to make sure that I was getting enough crank.
    If I wait for a couple of hours I can get the motor started again, but by then with the constant cranking I think she is flooded. When she does start it usually take a few minutes to get all cylinders working ok. I have compression tested the four cylinders and all are between 130-135 psi. I have a suspicion that the CDI is failing when hot. Am i on the right track?? How can I check this out??
    Thanks in anticipation.

A CDI problem would probably result in no spark or weak spark at plugs. Try pumping primer bulb to see if helps it to start. See if you find gas with no Ethanol in it in your area, maybe at marina's.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

120 hp v4 start problem

I Have looked at primer bulb when I have the problem, Bulb is ok. I run a 98 ron gas. ( no ethanol added).

Comment

If it starts easier after pumping the bulb up it may be vapor locking(rare on a 2 stroke) or a fuel restriction.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

120hp V4 start problem.

Have found the problem. Previous owner had repaired a wire on the timer base.
          faulty join caused wire to arc out when hot. Changed timer base. CDI still faulty.
          Changed over CDI and all is running well fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
          X