1972 50 HP Johnson Hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 50 HP Johnson Hard to start

I am a newbie here and looking for any insight with my problem. The model that I have is 50ESL 72C. I have owned this motor for about 2 years. I bought it from a local marine dealer. Up until about a month ago the motor started like a new motor. Now, once I get it started it runs great but getting it started is a different story. I have noticed the plugs are really wet with some oil/gas on it. I maybe running a little rich. I was running a Champion L77JC4 but then I went to a Autolite 2634 due to Advanced Auto parts guy saying they were inter changable. That was about 8 or 9 months ago.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be great appreciated. I really don't want to have to rebuild the carbs unless I absolutlety have to. I am hoping it is a minor asdustment. I know there are 2 adjustment screws on the front but I am not sure what they adjust. Is it possible over time they have vibrated to a different adjustment causing to much gas or not enough. I have noticed as well, if I push the throttle foward just as I start the motor it will some times catch and start the motor. Thanks for your time and help

If it has an electric choke make sure it's working properly. Try choking it manual to see if starts better.
    Last edited by boats.net; 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

It does have both chokes. I will try the manual thanks

Comment

Working...
      X