99 40hp Johnson hard starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 40hp Johnson hard starting

I am having trouble starting the only way I can get motor to start is to turn the lever on the primer solenoid or use starting fluid is there any way I can test the primer solenoid.

Pump the primer bulb up, disconnect small hose from primer valve to engine, when activate choke on key switch should see fuel come out hose. If nor test for voltage to primer, should be 12 volts with choke engaged.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for info I cheeked little hoses from primer solenoid it does shoot gas out both lines but should it shoot gas out of lines evertime I push key in? still wont start unless I move primer lever to manual start.

Comment

You would have to pump primer bulb back up to refill it with gas or crank engine over so fuel pump can refill it.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

I replaced primer solenoid motor starts great know but when I let motor ideal for about two minutes after i have ran it for awhile motor stalls out I think it might be geeting too much oil is there anyway I can remove oil system that is on motor and just put oil in gas and if so is there instructions on how to do so.

Comment

You can block off oil hose from oil tank in boat, disconnect oil sensor on oil tank and on oil pump, add 50:1 oil mix in gas.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Johnson Outboard Parts

Comment

1976 85 starting issue

Before the problem heres the checks and balances.
              I checked compression, 160lbs per cylinder, I rebuilt carbs, pulled lower unit rebuilt water pump, also resealed prop shaft while I was at it.
              Hooked up battery turned key the starter engaged but would barely turn the engine. Hooked up jumper cables same result. Removed starter, hooked to battery direct, wasnt extremely strong but seemed adequate. Cleaned all connections, same result. Disassembled starter, brushes were worn about halfway, cleaned armature and brushes, lubed and reassembled. Same result. Pulled spark plugs spun engine over seemed to turn freely, observed spark, very strong and bright blue. Choked engine and continued to turn engine over, it has been sitting winterized for a few years, my thinking was the fuel might free up the engine by washing out the fogging oil. reinstalled plugs same result, the engine turns over very slowly, like a dead battery or a bad starter, I had another starter so I tryed that same result. I am totally lost, what have I missed?
              Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X